CHANGING BLOG ADDRESS

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL READERS:

I HAVE MOVED!

I have moved the whole blog to a new address. Please join me over there as no new posts are being added here and I have removed key info from this old version ...


PLEASE GO TO THE NEW ADDRESS:
www.helpineedapublisher.blogspot.com


When you get there, PLEASE rejoin as a "follower" - changing addresses means I lose my 230 lovely friends!



NB also - all comments are intact on the new version.


Friday 17 July 2009

RANT: WHY I WON'T SIGN THIS STUPID FORM

Sorry, I've been ranting over on my irregular other blog. I'm pretty incensed about this vapid plan. One author friend asked me why I was so bothered. I'm bothered because it pretends to protect children but it simply can't.

I know this isn't about becoming published but it's important to me and I'd like to know your views on it.

Here's the news story, though I admit that not all agree. But how would this ruling have prevented the William Mayne case? That's why I think it's pointless. Of course children need to be protected, but how does this protect them? It's about box-ticking; it says, "look, we've got this form - now we can worry less" - but why would a sensible person worry less when there's been zero difference to the actual threat?

OK, rant over. Maybe my speaking diary will be emptier this autumn, since I am refusing to tow the govt line. I'll be very sad if that's the case, and no, I can't afford it. But maybe I might get some writing done.

Do you sense my anger? I just get so irritated by rules that have no point. Always did. It's the campaigner in me. I'll obey all rules that are well designed to help, but not stupid ones that can't.

EDITED TO INCLUDE NEW INFO: I now gather that this doesn't apply till November 2010 and has already been postponed once. Therefore, I'm much less worried because I think that common sense (if expressed loudly and clearly enough) will win. But I feel that makes it even more important that people who disagree with it should speak out about it now, to make sure that the relevant people know our feelings.

The ISA website is at www.isa-gov.org.uk and the phone number is 0300 123 1111. The ruling was originally brought in to cover people who apply for "employment within a care setting" - which of course would be a really valuable reason for such checks to be made. An author speaking in front of a group of kids with teachers looking on is just not in the same game.

EXCELLENT article here.