CHANGING BLOG ADDRESS

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL READERS:

I HAVE MOVED!

I have moved the whole blog to a new address. Please join me over there as no new posts are being added here and I have removed key info from this old version ...


PLEASE GO TO THE NEW ADDRESS:
www.helpineedapublisher.blogspot.com


When you get there, PLEASE rejoin as a "follower" - changing addresses means I lose my 230 lovely friends!



NB also - all comments are intact on the new version.


Tuesday 2 June 2009

THE EDINBURGH INT BOOK FEST IS COMING

Thought you might like some advance warning of some events aimed specifically at writers, published or unpublished, at the Edinburgh International Book Festival. The actual and complete programme is announced on June 11th. (Blog reader and book festival person, Tim Duncan, has just helpfully pointed out that booking doesn't start till June 22nd. How can we wait that long??)

These are the events I know about, either because I'm involved in them or because I helped arrange them. They fall within a strand called the Writing Business and are designed to be very practical. A workshop is 1.5 hours; the others are talks which till focus on the practicalities of the topic, and last one hour:


How to make a living as a writer (workshop) - Keith Charters


Writing non-fiction (workshop) - Angus Konstam
Self-publishing (workshop) - Keith Charters


Writing in a Recession - Mark Le Fanu (Gen Sec of SoA), chaired by me
Writing crime fiction (workshop) - Lin Anderson
Contracts workshop (workshop) - SoA staff


How to structure a story - Lin Anderson


How to make a publisher say Yes - me
Blogging - Caroline Dunford and Helen Fowler


Fight for your rights as a writer - me


Writing fantasy - Alan Campbell


Writing the perfect submission (workshop) - me


Publishing Scotland panel on trends in publishing - me on panel, don't know who with
Ghost writing - ?


Can you learn to write and if so how? - Sam Kelly, Lin Anderson, Caroline Dunford, chaired by me
Creativity (workshop) - Caroline Dunford


Self-publishing - Keith Charters
Dealing with rejection (workshop) - Caroline Dunford
Writing for teenagers (workshop) - Keith Gray


Writing for children and teenagers - Viv French and me


Writing short stories (workshop) - Susie Maguire
Writing for young children (workshop) - Linda Strachan


Creating a series - Aline Templeton


Writing for theatre - Zinnie Harris


Writing biography (workshop) - Angus Konstam
Writing romance (workshop) - Eileen Ramsay

Even if you can't come to an event, do come to the book festival. I am there most days and would love to meet you. Know me by my shoes, as usual (except when it's raining). The book festival have got rain down to a fine art - last time there were plastic ducks on the accidental ponds and the sculptures depicted sheds and things semi-submerged in mud. And ice-cream still rocks in the rain.

Maybe we should have a blog picnic .... Hmm, I could be tempted. I have organised a picnic in the book festival for ther last three years and every year it has rained; on the other hand, every year I have blagged a marquee. Yay for bribery.

Here is a fab pic that Tim Duncan has just sent me of the above-mentioned ducks. Is that a hippo lurking?