CHANGING BLOG ADDRESS

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL READERS:

I HAVE MOVED!

I have moved the whole blog to a new address. Please join me over there as no new posts are being added here and I have removed key info from this old version ...


PLEASE GO TO THE NEW ADDRESS:
www.helpineedapublisher.blogspot.com


When you get there, PLEASE rejoin as a "follower" - changing addresses means I lose my 230 lovely friends!



NB also - all comments are intact on the new version.


Tuesday 24 February 2009

OH YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!!

OK, I'll calm down. In a minute. But first let me watch this video clip again.

Harlan Ellison on the subject of PAY THE AUTHOR

Sorry, but I am totally with this guy. I have had a moderate rant along the same lines on a number of occasions but he does it SOOOOOO much better.

There are times when authors can legitimately and sensibly do something for nothing, but never just because we've been asked to or because it's ignorantly expected. Nowadays, if I'm asked to write something for charity I ask the question: is everyone else in the project also giving up their wages? And if they're not, I ask why not, why only the author? I do a few free talks around a new publication, but only with guaranteed publicity, audience and books sales. And if I'm ever asked if I'd like to donate a fee back to charity, I always say, "No, but I will consider the charity when I do my next charitable donation." For a start, I already run a charity (The Child Literacy Centre) which I created myself, and I don't ask a penny from anyone, so I reckon I do my bit without being made to feel guilty. It's about choice. I prefer to separate giving from earning, and keep my work professional.

God, but I'm hard. Crabbit doesn't even come near it.

Anyway, sorry, bit of a rant there and not something that's going to help you be published. BUt do remember it when you are.

And thank you to the wonderful Society of Authors for pointing me in the direction of this uplifting and rabble-rousing clip.